To get an accurate speed test follow these guidelines:
- Make sure no one else in your household is using the Internet on any device (No TV streaming, No music streaming, No online games, etc).
- Close all other programs on your computer so that only your web browser is open with no other open tabs.
- Try to use a computer that is connected via an ethernet cable and not over WIFI.
- Use the fastest computer you have with a modern OS (Windows 7+, Mac OS 10.12+)
- Make sure no one else is using your wifi (such as neighbor!) that you don’t know about.
Recommended internet speed test sites:
Speedtest.net – MOST RECOMMENDED Internet speed test. They have FREE Mac (App store), Windows (Microsoft Store), iPhone/iPad and Android app that work great. Succeed.net has a 10gbit speedtest server located on this network in Sacramento, CA. Use the apps for most accurate results.
Speedcheck.org – Speed test and Ultimate Guide on understanding internet speed tests and troubleshooting your internet speed.
Testmy.net – Does a variety of tests and shows you a comparison to other users in your town, city, state, etc. Automatic test option is unique in that it can automatically do tests every hour which helps troubleshoot traffic congestion at different times of the day or night. Supports HTML5 and doesn’t require Flash.
Speedof.me – Supports HTML 5 and doesn’t require flash! Unusual and different with graphs
DSL Reports – Can test via Java or Flash and has simple smart phone tests
FCC Broadband test – Everyone should do this at least once to provide the FCC info about your area for future grants.
Tip: Always try at least two sites in case one testing site has it’s own congestion issues.
Tip: It is normal to get 5-20% less than your maximum account speed due to overhead and latency over the many third party routers your data will pass through on the way to external speed test servers. You will also get better speed if you test during non-peak times 7PM to 1AM or on different days. If you are a Succeed.Net customer and get less than expected speeds and have followed the guidelines for a good test then please create a support ticket concerning “slow speeds”.